The Signum alias system is an easy-to-use and customize, open-ended feature that provides a basis for any system that requires mapping or translating alphanumeric texts into any string of Latin characters. For example, it could form the basis for a decentralized DNS system, an online shopping cart application, etc.
It essentially allows one piece of text to be substituted for another so that keywords can represent other things – names, telephone numbers, physical addresses, websites, account numbers, email addresses, product SKU codes, etc.
A simple application would be to create easy-to-remember aliases for Signum account numbers. Signum addresses are generally shorter and easier to read than typical cryptocurrency addresses. They can be shortened even further and made more memorable by assigning them to an alias.
The Signum alias system is a native function of the Signum blockchain. Therefore, aliases can be transferred or sold to any other Signum address.
Following are two ways to use Signum aliases without relying on third-party browser plugins.
- Server-side: A web server analyzes the Signum blockchain and replaces “signum-links” with corresponding addresses before sending HTML documents to users.
- Account: Set an alias for any account for easy payments
- Link: Create aliases for links to external data such as HTTP, HTTPS, or IPFS
- Send a transaction that states ‘Text A = Text B’. Use ‘Register Alias’ under the ‘Aliases’ menu.
- Select the Type: (‘URL’, ‘Account’, or ‘Other’)
- In the Alias field, enter the name without blank spaces.
- Depending on the selected Type, the text input field is named URI, Account ID, or Data. The Data field can contain any text. The maximum length is 1,000 bytes.
- Enter your Passphrase and click Register. While the network is processing the alias, it will be listed in italics.
- After the network has processed the alias, it will be listed in regular font.
- Send another transaction with a new definition. Only the account that created an alias can change it.
- Click on ‘Edit’ behind the alias you want to change.
- You can modify ‘Type’ and “Data”, but you cannot rename an Alias.
- Enter Passphrase and click “Update”.
The fee to transfer an alias is always fee quant (the minimum transaction fee).
- Click on the ‘Transfer’ button behind the alias to be transferred.
- Enter the Recipient account id and a message (optional).
- Enter your Passphrase and click ‘Transfer Alias’.
Aliases can be sold to specific Signum accounts or the general public. When selling aliases, the prices can be set individually.
- Click on ‘Sell’ behind the alias to be sold.
- You can sell it to a specific user or offer it on the Signum network.
- Enter the price and the corresponding data.
- Confirm with your passphrase and click on ‘Sell Alias’.
Create, buy, sell, or trade. Substitute one text for another for a variety of programming purposes.
Assign your address to an alias for use on the blockchain – maybe something dark and mysterious.