The Signum alias system is an open-ended feature that provides a basis for any system that requires mapping or translating alphanumeric texts into any string of Latin characters. For example, it could form the basis for a decentralized DNS system, an online shopping cart application, etc.
It essentially allows one piece of text to be substituted for another so that keywords can represent other things – names, telephone numbers, physical addresses, websites, account numbers, email addresses, product SKU codes, etc.
A simple application would be to create easy-to-remember aliases for Signum account numbers.
Following are two ways to use Signum aliases without relying on third-party browser plugins.
- Server-side: A web server analyzes the Signum blockchain and replaces “signum-links” with corresponding addresses before sending HTML documents to users.
- Send a transaction that states ‘Text A = Text B’. Use ‘Register Alias’ under the ‘Aliases’ menu.
- Select the Type: (‘URL’, ‘Account’, or ‘Other’)
- In the Alias field, enter the name without blank spaces.
- Depending on the selected Type, the text input field is named URI, Account ID, or Data. The Data field can contain any text. The maximum length is 1,000 bytes.
- Enter your Passphrase and click Register. While the network is processing the alias, it will be listed in italics.
- After the network has processed the alias, it will be listed in regular font.
- Send another transaction with a new definition. Only the account that created an alias can change it.
- Click on ‘Edit’ behind the alias you want to change.
- You can modify ‘Type’ and “Data”, but you cannot rename an Alias.
- Enter Passphrase and click “Update”.
The fee to transfer an alias is always fee quant (the minimum transaction fee).
- Click on the ‘Transfer’ button behind the alias to be transferred.
- Enter the Recipient account id and a message (optional).
- Enter your Passphrase and click ‘Transfer Alias’.
Aliases can be sold to specific Signum accounts or the general public. When selling aliases, the prices can be set individually.
- Click on ‘Sell’ behind the alias to be sold.
- You can sell it to a specific user or offer it on the Signum network.
- Enter the price and the corresponding data.
- Confirm with your passphrase and click on ‘Sell Alias’.
Create, buy, sell, or trade. Substitute one text for another for a variety of programming purposes.
Assign your address to an alias for use on the blockchain – maybe something dark and mysterious.